Third UN World Conference on Disaster Risk Reduction
14 - 18 March, Sendai Japan
The TASW session at the World Conference for Disaster Risk Reduction (WCDRR) will be held on 13th March (14.30-16.30), it will be by invitation only event for members of the network. It will focus on the strategic direction of the TASW Network, the workplan and priority activities for 2015, the link to other professionals DRR networks, and expanding the network memberships .
We would like also to share with you information on the health-related events at conference during 14-18 March 2015.
There are two health-related working sessions at the WCDRR that will definitely benefit from the knowledge and experiences of TASW members, both are held on Sunday 15th March:
- The first session is on “Disaster Risk Management for Healthy Societies” (15 March, 14.00-15.30).
- The second session is on “Reducing Risks to Epidemics and Pandemics” (15 March, 16.00-17.30).
In addition, there will be a Public Forum co-organized by WHO, UNISDR, UNAIDS, and UNFAP on “protecting health from disaster risk” on Tuesday 17th, March 9-5pm at the Multimedia Hall, Kawauchi-Kita Campus, Tohoku University, Sendai. Panels in the Forum will discuss the following topics:
- Commitments and actions to disaster risk management for health and implementation of the post-2015 framework for DRR
- Major initiatives, action and commitments on disaster risk management for health
- Strengthening preparedness for emergencies, including epidemics and pandemics
- Strengthening community resilience and community-centred disaster risk management for health
- Emerging risks, increasing capacities
- Health in disaster recovery & rehabilitation phase of emergencies
- Health system strengthening, including safe hospitals